Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Tarts



For me when it comes to entertaining I like to keep things somewhat simple, full of flavor, and a presentation that is happy on the eyes and appetite. I especially like to apply this to appetizers, when having friends over you want to be able to engage with your guests, keep the wine flowing, and check in on the cooking main dish from time to time. I like to go with no muss no fuss appetizers, which I think this one is.

The last time I needed an appetizer I tried out the below recipe for caramelized onion and goat cheese tarts. They did not require too many ingredients or too much work. My guests were happy with the outcome and so was I. So next time people show up at your door, give these a try, you will be happy you did.

Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Tarts
  • 1 tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup of water
  • 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves, plus more for garnish
  • 1 puff pastry sheet, thawed- the sheets I used were thicker than what I would have liked but oh well, next time I will use the thinner ones
  • 1 oz soft mild goat cheese at room temperature
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
In a heavy skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Saute onion, stirring occasionally



Add water and deglaze the skillet, scraping up any brown bits and cooking until the water evaporates. Stir in the thyme and cook until onion is even a deeper brown, about 10 more minutes.

While the onion is cooking, cut off 1/3 of the pastry sheet, cutting lengthwise along the perforated line. Halve the piece again lengthwise to create two 10x3- inch strips. Cut each strip into 8 triangles.




Place triangles on a parchment-lined baking sheet, prick pastry all over with a fork; bake until golden, about 10 minutes. Careful to not let it burn.

Spread goat cheese onto pastry triangles; top with caramelized onion, and garnish with fresh thyme leaves and serve immediately.




No comments:

Post a Comment