Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Baked Oatmeal Casserole

I am a huge fan of brunch, really who doesn't love brunch? Breakfast is served until late in the afternoon, mimosas are a must and are usually included in the meal,  and it is a great way to spend time with friends over the weekend.

Maybe it is a result from my time living in New York, because in the city brunch on Saturday or Sunday is practically a must, and it is usually followed up by shopping, not a bad way to spend the weekend in my view :)  A few weeks ago we were at a friends place for a pot luck brunch. The boys provided the booze and the girls brought the food. I made a Baked Oatmeal Casserole inspired by this recipe I found on Pinterest. It was a hit with my fellow brunchers and I enjoyed it too! The oatmeal makes it a hearty filling dish, but the fruit and chocolate chips will satisfy your sweet tooth!


Baked Oatmeal Casserole 

  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
  • 1 cup rasberries (blueberries work too) 
  • 1 cup milk chocolate chips (you can use less if you don't want it too sweet)
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 ripe banana, peeled, 1/2 inch slices

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, grease your baking dish and place it on a cookie sheet. In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients: oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Then add half the raspberries, half the chocolate chips, and half of the walnuts.






In another bowl mix together the wet ingredients; milk, egg, vanilla, and butter. Then add the oat mixture to the baking dish. Top with the remaining raspberries, chocolate chips, and banana slices. Then top with the milk, egg mixture.




Bake for about 35-40 minutes, until golden brown. Pour yourself a mimosa, serve and enjoy!










1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you posted this. I loved the original recipe, but it's no longer there. It was my favorite baked oatmeal. Looks like I should PRINT the recipe so I have it!

    ReplyDelete